Those with lost car titles in Florida now need surety bonds


As of January 1, 2013, Florida now requires that individuals file a surety bond with the state if they own a vehicle without a valid certificate of title.

This new requirement was established to keep individuals from obtaining vehicles illegally or participating in other unethical purchasing transactions involving vehicles.

The bond form reads as follows.

Section 319.23(7), Florida Statutes, states, ‘If an applicant for a certificate of title is unable to provide the department with a certificate of title that assigns the prior owner’s interest in the motor vehicle, the department may accept a bond in the form prescribed by the department, along with an affidavit in a form prescribed by the department, which includes verification of the vehicle identification number and an application for title.'”

Furthermore, the bond amount must be “equal to two times the value of the vehicle as determined by the department.”

If you’re a Florida resident, you might need a lost title surety bond for one of the following reasons.

  • Your original title was lost, stolen or accidentally destroyed
  • You paid for a vehicle but didn’t receive a title and can no longer get one from the seller
  • You purchased a vehicle that is too old to have a title
  • You have a custom-built vehicle

Although this bond requirement is new, it’s already gone into effect, so individuals who fall into one or more of the categories above must purchase a lost title surety bond to remain in compliance with state law.

If you need to purchase a lost title bond in Florida or another state, contact via our online contact form or by phone at 1 (800) 308-4358 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. to speak with a surety specialist.

1 Comment on "Those with lost car titles in Florida now need surety bonds"

  1. I think my title got misplaced in our move, and I want to make sure I have all the correct paperwork that I need. How do you replace a lost car title? Do you need the bond to be able to get one? I’m a little unclear on how this whole process works. Thanks for the information!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.