Permit Bond Required for Right-of-Way Construction Workers in Tennessee

The permit bond has been modified for right-of-way construction in Tennessee

The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) requires contractors building or modifying driveways or other entrances onto state-owned roads or highways to purchase and file a bond equal to 110% of the construction costs or $5,000, whichever is greater.

To apply for a construction permit, contractors will need to collect the following information:

All forms and more details are available on TDOT’s website.

The surety bond guarantees that construction or modification of the entrance is completed in accordance with state laws. Obtaining a permit and a bond ensures that the driveways or entrances do not cause road drainage issues or damage state roads. Residential driveways and farm entrances are exempt from the surety bond and liability insurance requirement.

Contact TDOT if you have questions about the required permits or forms. can help you purchase your permit bond in Tennessee.

Sign Up for Surety News!

About the Author

Melanie Baravik
Melanie is a senior at the University of Missouri - Columbia studying English with an emphasis in creative writing. She is a member of the marketing department and outreach team for, a leading provider of online bonding for clients nationwide.