How much does a Colorado auto dealer bond cost?
A $50,000 Colorado auto dealer bond costs as little as $450 following a review of the applicant’s credit by an underwriter. However, applicants with less-than-stellar credit may be quoted at a higher rate. The best way to find out how much your Colorado auto dealer bond will cost is to submit a request for your free, no obligation quote.
Ready to get bonded? Give us a call at 1 (800) 308-4358, or fill out an online bond request now!
|Bond Type||Bond Amount||Cost*|
|$50,000 Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond Motor Vehicle Dealer, Used Motor Vehicle Dealer, Wholesaler, or Wholesale Auction-Dealer Bond||$50,000||Starts at $450||Apply Now|
Have questions about this surety bond type? Call SuretyBonds.com at 1 (800) 308-4358 or fill out our online bond request form to get started.
Why do I need a motor vehicle dealer bond in Colorado?
The Colorado Department of Revenue’s Motor Vehicle Dealer Board requires powersports vehicle dealers, used motor vehicle dealers, used powersports vehicle dealers, wholesalers and wholesale motor vehicle auction-dealers to comply with the terms listed in 12-6-111(1) and 12-6-512(1) of the Colorado Revised Statutes during the term of the business license. Specifically, Colorado motor vehicle bonds prevent consumers from harm caused by the principal (the dealer).
Recovery under this bond is limited to the parties and priorities described in Colorado Revised Statutes 12-6-111(2)(a) and 12-6-512(2)(a) and is subject to the requirements of Colorado Revised Statutes 12-6-111(2)(b) and 12-6-512(2)(b).
Click here to apply for a Colorado auto dealer surety bond quote! Our surety experts work hard to get you bonded for the lowest price possible.
Please note this page is for vehicle dealer licensing. If you have lost or need to obtain a vehicle title, a Colorado certificate of title bond is required.
Additional information about Colorado auto dealer bonds
Colorado motor vehicle dealer bonds are renewed annually via a continuation certificate from the surety for the duration of the license. This certificate must be delivered to the Director of Revenue. The surety can cancel the bond at any time by filing 45 days written notice of such cancellation with the vehicle dealer and the Director of the Department of Revenue. If, however, cancellation is based upon nonpayment of premium, this bond may be canceled by the surety upon 10 days written notice to the dealer and the director.
The applicant must indicate one of the following dealer types on the bond application:
- Motor vehicle dealer
- Used motor vehicle dealer
- Powersports vehicle dealer
- Used powersports vehicle dealer
- Wholesale motor vehicle auction-dealer
How to get an auto dealer license in Colorado
A vehicle dealer in the state of Colorado is defined as a person who sells or leases three vehicles from the same address during the cycle of one calendar year with the intent to make a profit. These professionals must obtain a license issued by the Colorado Motor Vehicle Dealer Board (MVDB). Applicants must do the following to qualify for a license:
- Fill out an application
- Pay the licensing fee that corresponds with the applicant’s license type
- Submit proof of completed Pre-Licensing Education and Training class approved by the Colorado Motor Vehicle Dealer Board
- Fill out an addendum form for each owner, partner, member or officer
- Submit the original surety bond in the required amount
- Fill out the Mastery Examination Affidavit noting completion of the online Auto Industry Mastery Examination
- Verification of Fingerprints
- Complete Affidavit – Restriction on Public Benefits for all owners, partners, members or officers and the statement of Financial Condition for the applicant and all owners
- Submit Business Plan
- Complete Place of Business Affidavit
- Complete Dealer Plate Affidavit
- Provide copy of Sales Tax License
If applicable, the applicant must also submit the following materials for their license:
- Certificate of Good Standing from the Colorado Secretary of State
- Constituent Filed Document
- Bylaws/Operating Agreement
- Trade Name
- A copy of the applicant lease
- Franchise Agreement