How much does an Illinois certificate of title bond cost?
The cost of an Illinois certificate of title bond starts at $100, although the exact cost depends on the amount of the bond. Bonds up to $5,000 are issued instantly for $100 and the cost of bonds between $5,001 and $25,000 is calculated at a rate of $20 for every $1,000 of coverage. Bonds exceeding $25,000 require an underwriting review of credit and financial history, so applicants must submit a bond application before a quote can be issued.
Why do I need an Illinois certificate of title bond?
An Illinois certificate of title surety bond is required of an individual who purchases a car, truck, or SUV without the original title. The certificate of title bond acts as a legal obligation to repay any and all monetary losses incurred if the car turns out to be stolen or if the title turns out to be fraudulent or otherwise invalid. In the event of theft or forgery, this surety bond will ensure that the rightful owner of the car is compensated for the full value of the vehicle. The bond amount must be 1.5 times the amount of the value of the vehicle, in accordance with the Illinois General Assembly Compiled Statutes Vehicles (625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code.
SuretyBonds.com can get you the bond you need quickly and easily. Give us a call at 1 (800) 308-4358, or submit a bond request to get your Illinois certificate of title surety bond today!
Please note that this bond is required if you have lost or obtain insufficient evidence of proper ownership of your vehicle. If you are planning to sell cars and other vehicles, an Illinois motor vehicle dealer bond is required.
What is the difference between a title bond and a bonded title?
If an owner of a car does not have a title for that car, the DMV will not issue a new title without ensuring the owner is financially liable in the case they are not the true owner of the vehicle. The DMV will only issue a bonded title if the owner of the vehicle has a title bond.
A title bond makes you financially responsible in the case someone comes forward and claims you are not the true owner of the vehicle. After you purchase a title bond, the DMV will issue you a bonded title.
Once obtained, the bonded title can be used just the same as a standard car title. A bonded title would be used if you are trying to insure, register, or sell your car. After purchasing a title bond, you can work toward getting your bonded title.
Can I get a bonded title if there is a lien on the vehicle?
A bonded title is not available for vehicles with a lien unless the applicant obtains a certificate of lien release. The title bond will protect the previous title lienholder.
How long is a title bond valid for?
Illinois certificate of title surety bonds remain in effect for a 3-year bond term. Unless the Secretary of State is notified of intent to recover on the bond, it must be returned at the end of the term.
What information is on a title bond?
The information that must be included for a title bond to be accepted is the vehicle make model, body type and vehicle identification number (VIN). A notary public’s signature is also required to continue the process of getting an Illinois bonded title.
How do I get a bonded title in Illinois?
To get a bonded title in Illinois, you must take the following steps:
- Call your local branch office of the Department of Motor Vehicles and explain your situation, and they will tell you whether or not you are eligible to receive a bonded title.
- Upon receiving approval from the DMV, you should submit proof of ownership for the vehicle in question, such as bill of sale, receipt, or canceled check. If you cannot find any proof, you must write a report explaining how you acquired the vehicle. The report must then be notarized before submitting it to the Secretary of State.
- Have your vehicle appraised by a licensed dealer or a price guide, such as Kelley Blue Book or the National Automobile Dealers Association.
- Purchase your surety bond in an amount equal to 1.5 times the appraisal value of your vehicle.
- You must know the appraisal value of your vehicle before purchasing your Illinois title bond.
- Submit your completed application, including your surety bond and payment of a fee, to receive your bonded title.
Once the application is complete, you should receive your bonded title in 1-4 weeks.