How much does a private home detention monitoring license bond cost in Maryland?
The cost of a private home detention monitoring license bond in Maryland is subject to underwriting, meaning the cost is based on the applicant’s personal credit. However, highly qualified applicants are typically approved to pay as little as $100.
Notice: SuretyBonds.com does not provide home detention services or equipment. This page is about the bond requirement for the Maryland private home detention monitoring agency license.
|Bond Type||Bond Amount||Cost*|
|$2,500 Private Home Detention Monitoring Agency Bond||$2,500||Starts at $100||Apply Now|
Five minutes and $100 is all it takes to get bonded when you choose SuretyBonds.com! Call 1 (800) 308-4358 or click here to get started.
What is a private home detention monitoring agency bond?
The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services requires private home detention monitoring agencies in the state to obtain a $2,500 surety bond prior to receiving a license. All agencies must be licensed to conduct work with the state.
Maryland private home detention monitoring agency surety bonds hold principals (private home detention monitoring agencies) responsible for overseeing individuals ordered by the court to spend time under house arrest. The Maryland Code of Business Occupations and Professions maintain that these agencies fulfill several responsibilities for their business, including:
- Monitoring individuals in accordance with court decisions
- Monitoring individuals under a court order for 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- Using electronic equipment that meet standards established by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services
- Adhering to policies and procedures regarding equipment, methods of monitoring individuals, monitored individuals’ schedules, charged fees, and emergency situations
Agencies are also responsible for the actions of their employees. If there is a violation of the code, the state agency can file a claim against the bond. In the event of a valid claim, the surety must cover damages up to the penal sum of the bond ($2,500). The principal, in turn, must reimburse the surety for any damages paid out.
Take the first step by applying for your Maryland surety bond today!
Terms of private home detention services bond
Once the bond is issued, it remains valid for one year before the principal (the agency) must renew it. If the surety wishes to terminate or cancel this bond at any time, it must notify the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services immediately.
How to become a private home detention monitoring service in Maryland
All private home detention monitoring agencies in Maryland must receive a license from the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services before commencing operations. The following is required in the application for this license:
- Application fee of $500
- Proof of general liability insurance of at least $100,000
- Surety bond of $2,500
- Proof of application for state and national criminal history records checks
- 3 statements of good character and reputation for the applicant and any officer or director, as well as for each private home detention monitor employed
For more details on licensing requirements, refer to the Maryland Code of Business Occupations and Professions Title 20 - Private Home Detention. Once issued, licenses remain valid for 2 years before they must be renewed.