How much does a mortgage broker bond cost in Texas?
The Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending mandates that mortgage brokers post $50,000 surety bonds. These bonds remain valid for a period of 2 years, which is the same duration as the mortgage broker license. The price you’ll pay for your Texas mortgage broker bond is based on a review of your personal credit report.
Give us a call at 1 (800) 308-4358 or click here to connect with one of our surety experts who will walk you through our fast and easy bonding process step-by-step!
|Bond Type||Bond Amount||Cost*|
|$50,000 Mortgage Broker Bond||$50,000||Starts at $500||Apply Now|
Ready to get bonded? Call 1 (800) 308-4358 or submit a bond request now. We can provide your free, no-obligation bond quote within 1 business day of submitting your application.
Why do I need this bond?
Mortgage broker bonds in Texas protect the public from unlawful business practices committed by the principal (mortgage broker). Specifically, these bonds ensure that principals comply with the provisions of the Texas Mortgage Broker License Act. The following acts are prohibited under this bond agreement:
- obtaining a license through fraud
- publishing a misleading or deceitful advertisement
- failing to use a fee collected in advance for the purpose for which fee was paid
- charging a fee for assisting a mortgage applicant before all services have been performed
- attempting to induce a party to breach a contract so the individual may make a mortgage loan
- discriminating against a prospective borrower
If the principal breaches any of the terms of the bond agreement and consumers are harmed as a result, the surety will cover all damages up to the full bond amount. The principal, in turn, must reimburse the surety for any damages paid out.
Our team of surety bond experts work hard to get you bonded quickly and for the lowest rate available. Apply now to receive your complimentary quote on a Texas mortgage broker bond!
What’s the fine print?
The Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending requires all mortgage brokers in the state to post a $50,000 surety bond. The term of this particular bond is equivalent to the duration of the license period, which is 2 years.
The surety can cancel this bond at any time by providing the Commissioner of the Department with a written cancellation notice 30 days prior to the effective termination date.
How to become a mortgage broker in Texas
Mortgage brokers in Texas must licensed through the National Mortgage Licensing System. The application must be accompanied by a licensing fee of $375 and a recovery fund fee. Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Texas mortgage broker’s license:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be U.S. citizen or lawfully admitted alien
- have a physical office in the state
- have a bachelor’s degree in a banking field and have 18 months of experience in the mortgage and lending field or have 3 years of experience in the mortgage lending field
- not have been convicted of a criminal offense that directly relates to the mortgage lending field
- possess and maintain net assets of at least $25,000
Once a mortgage broker receives his or her license, it remains valid for 2 years. It must be renewed on or before the expiration date for the mortgage broker to continue legally working in Texas.
Ready to purchase your Texas mortgage broker bond? Connect with a surety specialist now!
Mortgage Industry Surety Bonds Avaiable Nationwide
Many states have their own surety bond requirements for mortgage professionals. This means mortgage professionals who work in several states often have multiple surety bonds. Use the map below to learn more about mortgage bonds in other states.
Or, choose your state from the list below:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia