How much does a private investigator bond cost in Washington?
The Washington Department of Licensing’s Public Protection Unit requires private investigative agencies to post $10,000 surety bonds to operate legally within the state.
SuretyBonds.com issues these bonds instantly for just $100! No credit check is required, so everyone can get bonded right away. Start here!
|Bond Type||Bond Amount||Cost*|
|Private Investigative Agency Bond||$10,000||$100||Buy Now|
Call 1 (800) 308-4358, or click here to connect with our team of surety experts. We’ll get you set up with the Washington bond you need right away!
Why do I need this bond?
Washington private investigative agency bonds ensure that principals (private investigative agencies) comply with all provisions of Title 18 RCW, Laws of 1991 of the State of Washington and with all rules and regulations adopted by the Director of the Department of Licensing. Prohibited actions under this bond include:
- failing to return a firearm immediately upon the demand of an employer
- making any statement that would reasonably cause another person to believe that the private investigator is a sworn peace officer
- divulging any confidential information obtained in the course of any investigation
- and more
If the principal violates any of these terms and a valid claim is made against the bond, the surety will cover any damages suffered by harmed parties up to the full penal sum of the bond. The principal must then reimburse the surety for all damages paid out.
What’s the fine print?
Private investigative agency bonds in Washington remain in full force and effect until canceled or violated. The surety can cancel the bond by notifying the Business and Professions Division of the impending cancellation and the reason for cancellation at least 10 days prior to the effective date of termination.
To be approved by the division, bonds must remain valid for 1 year following the effective date of cancellation or termination.
How to start a private investigative agency in Washington
To become licensed as a private investigative agency in Washington, all agency owners, partners or qualifying agents must meet the following requirements:
- be at least 18 years of age if applying for an unarmed license
- be at least 21 years of age if applying for an armed license
- be a citizen or resident alien of the United States
- have no criminal convictions that directly relate to his or her capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator
- have a physical business location in Washington
- have a valid license with the Business Licensing Services
- have proof of 3 years investigative experience performed before applying for the license
- and more
Complete licensing information can be accessed via the Important Links section of this page. Kickstart the licensing process by purchasing the surety bond you need instantly!
Ready to get started?