generic bond icon

West Virginia Brewer Importer Bond

Price Varies / 1 year term


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

Effective June 6, 2019, West Virginia Senate Bill 529 removes the requirement for brewers, resident brewers, distributors, and Class S licenses to have a surety bond. For more information on West Virginia bonds, please visit our West Virginia Surety Bonds page.

How much does a brewer importer surety bond cost in West Virginia?

The West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Administration requires brewers/importers to post $25,000 surety bonds. offers West Virginia brewer importer bonds for different costs depending on a review of each applicant’s credit report. Applicants with strong financial credentials could pay as low as $250 for their bonds!

Why do I need this bond?

West Virginia brewer/importer bonds ensure that principals (brewers/importers) observe the State of West Virginia Nonintoxicating Beer Act and the regulations set by the West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Commissioner. If the principal violates these terms, the bond protects the state from financial loss up to the full amount of the bond.

What’s the fine print?

West Virginia brewer importer surety bonds remain in full force and effect as long as the principal remains compliant with the terms of the bond. The bond term runs from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.

The bond form requires a signature from a notary public acknowledging the agreement between the surety and the principal.

The Commissioner will periodically review the sufficiency of the bonds posted by importers and will increase the amount of the bond required when the amount of the bond no longer covers the importer’s anticipated tax liability.

How to become a brewer importer in West Virginia

To become a licensed brewer/importer in West Virginia, applicants must:

  • complete license application
  • post a surety bond in the proper amount
  • provide copy of documentation as required
  • provide a copy of Certificate of Authority to transact business in West Virginia
  • pay all required license fees

The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. License fees are prorated from January 1 to June 30 for new applications only and do not apply to brewery representative permits.

Additional Resources

West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Administration Application

West Virginia Code: Chapter 11, Article 16 (Nonintoxicating Beer Act)

West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Administration

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert