TTB Distilled Spirits Bond Guide

Get a Quote!

Secure | No Obligation | Takes 2 Minutes

The U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) requires TTB surety bonds to guarantee that businesses pay federal alcohol taxes for selling, producing and warehousing liquor and distilled spirits.  

What Is a TTB Distilled Spirits Bond?

A federal TTB surety bond is required for distilled spirits operations as part of the permit process. This type of license and permit surety bond holds alcohol plants responsible for following all rules and regulations outlined in 26 USC Chapter 51

These bonds require distilleries to pay all TTB alcohol taxes and fees, including the following:

  • Alcohol taxes withdrawn from the bonded premise
  • Taxes on unexplained shortages of bottled spirits
  • Penalties and fines resulting from license violations also provides TTB Tobacco Bonds, TTB Brewer’s Bonds, TTB Wine Bonds and state-level Alcohol Tax Bonds.  

How Do I Get a TTB Alcohol Bond? 

You can purchase your TTB distilled spirits surety bond online 24/7. You'll need to provide the following information:

  • Business name
  • Business address
  • Bond amount
  • Employer identification number
  • Type of bond (operations - one plant, operations - adjacent wine cellar, operations - area, withdrawal, unit, or alcohol fuel producer)
  • Bond kind (original, strengthening, or superseding)

After you checkout, we’ll email your official TTB alcohol bond instantly. 

How Much Do TTB Bonds Cost for Alcohol Manufacturers? 

TTB distilled spirits bond costs start at $100 annually. Your personal cost will vary depending on your required bond amount. 

  • Bond amounts up to $250k cost $12/$1k of coverage, starting at $100. 
  • Bond amounts for more than $250k require underwriting to determine pricing, starting at $300. Apply for a personalized quote. 
Bond Type
$1,000-$25,000TTB Distilled Spirits Bond
$25,001-$500,000TTB Distilled Spirits Bond

Who Regulates Licensing for Alcohol Producers? 

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) enforces federal regulations for distilled spirits businesses and other alcohol manufacturers, including the surety bond requirement. If you have questions about applications, bonds, tax payments, or any other TTB guidance, you can email [email protected].

How Do I Update My Bond Form? 

If the TTB requires a change to your bond form, contact your surety company. customers can email [email protected] to explain the necessary update. 

How Do I Get a TTB Alcohol Producer and Manufacturer Permit? 

Alcohol producers and manufacturers are required to apply for TTB approval through Permits Online before conducting business in any state. You must submit the following documents with your online application:

Experimental distilled spirits plant operators are required to send a paper application letter and surety bond to the Director of Regulations and Rulings Division.

Additional Resources

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert