How to Get an IFTA License in Arizona

How To Get An International Fuel Tax Agreement in Arizona

This Arizona international fuel tax agreement guide is for informational purposes only. does not regulate or manage registration for international fuel tax agreements. Contact the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles for the latest official requirements.

How Do I Get an International Fuel Tax Agreement in Arizona? 

Step 1: Fill out an International Fuel Tax Agreement application

Before you can apply for your IFTA license, you must complete an application form. Make sure that it’s accurate and completed in its entirety. 

Step 2: Gather all supporting documents

In addition to an application form, you’ll need the following  documentation: 

 Step 3: Get your USDOT number (if applicable)

You’ll need to apply for a USDOT number if you haul hazardous materials requiring a safety permit. To determine if your vehicle needs a USDOT number, visit the FCSA information page

To get your USDOT number, apply with the FMCSA Unified Registration System. The portal will guide you through all the necessary steps and requirements. 

Step 4: Apply for operating authority 

You must have operating authority in Arizona to get your IFTA license. If you’re a first time applicant and haven’t been issued a USDOT number, you can apply through the FMCSA Unified Registration System portal. New operating authority applications cost $300.

If you’re already registered with the FMCSA but need to add an operating authority, you can register by mail and pay by check or credit card. If you’re paying with credit card, mail an application form and your card payment information to the following address:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, MC-RS

Room W65-206

Washington, DC 20590 

If you’re applying by mail and paying with a check, mail your materials to the address below. Make your check payable to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. 

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

P.O. Box 6200-33

Portland, OR 97228-6200

Applying by mail can delay your application by 6–8 weeks. If you apply online, it should take 20–25 business days to process.

Step 5: Establish proof of business in Arizona

You must provide evidence of your established place of business in Arizona in your IFTA application. You’ll need to provide proof of your address in the form of primary and secondary documents. 

Primary documents include, but are not limited, to the following examples: 

  • Real-estate ownership documents
  • Lease agreements
  • Rent or mortgage payment receipts
  • Utility bills
  • Valid Arizona drivers license. 

Secondary documents are any documents that support primary documents, and must be reviewed for accuracy and authenticity by the Department of Transportation. These can include Articles of Incorporation or an Arizona vehicle title in your business name. 

Note: Your business address must be a physical address. Virtual offices will not be accepted. 

Step 6: Purchase and file your Arizona International Fuel Tax Agreement Bond

Arizona Revised Statutes 28-5736 requires that all IFTA applicants purchase and file an Arizona IFTA surety bond. This bond ensures that IFTA license holders comply with all statutes and laws related to their business and protect the public from fraudulent or illegal practices. 

You can apply for your Arizona IFTA bond online 24/7 with annual premiums starting at $100. Once you apply for and purchase your bond, your official bond form will be delivered via email. 

Step 7: Apply for your IFTA license and pay the fees

After gathering all the required materials and information, mail your application along with the $10 required fee to the address below:

Motor Carrier Licensing Unit

Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 2100
MD 527M
Phoenix, AZ 85001

Alternatively, you can email it to [email protected]. After processing your application, the Arizona DOT will issue your official IFTA license.

Last Updated: May 3, 2024

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert