Contractors working with an Oregon Contractor License

How to Get an Oregon Contractor License

This Oregon contractor license guide is for informational purposes only. does not regulate or manage licensing for contractors in Oregon. Contact the Oregon Construction Contractors Board for the state's latest official contractor license requirements.

Oregon Revised Statutes 701.410 defines contractor as a "person that contracts with an owner on predetermined terms to be responsible for performing all or part of a job of construction in accordance with established specifications or plans, and that retains control of the means, method and manner of accomplishing the desired result."

The Oregon Construction Contractors Board requires a contractor license for anyone who performs construction work for a fee. The exact Oregon contractor license you need depends on the kind of construction work you perform.

Complete the following steps to apply for you Oregon contractor license with the Construction Contractors Board.

How to get an Oregon Contractor License

How Do I Get an Oregon CCB License?

Step 1. Determine which Oregon contractor license you need.

The Construction Contractors Board License Endorsement Chart can help you select the correct endorsement based on whether you will work on residential structures such as single-family homes, commercial structures such as manufacturing facilities, or both. Oregon offers 6 types of contractor licenses. 

  • Residential 
  • Commercial
  • Residential and Commercial 
  • General 
  • Specialty
  • Limited or Restricted 

The following contractor trades require specialty licenses in addition to the Construction Contractors Board license.

  • Home Inspectors
  • Lead-Based Paint
  • Locksmiths
  • Home Energy Assessors
  • Construction Flagging Contractors
  • Public Works
  • Energy Efficiency and Sustainable Technology Program

Step 2. Establish your business. 

Your business can be structured as a sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, or LLC. If your contracting business is a corporation or LLC, you must register it online with the Oregon Secretary of State. You'll also need to register your assumed business name with the SOS if your business operates under any name other than that of the sole proprietor.

Step 3. Complete prelicensing training and take the exam. 

You must have a Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) take the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors. An RMI is an owner/employee of your construction business who manages or supervises construction activities, and they must be at least 18 years old. 

Before taking the exam, your RMI must complete a 16-hour training course from an education provider approved by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board. The course can be taken online or in person. Costs vary depending on the course type and location. You can register for your course online through the Oregon CCB. 

Once you or your RMI has completed the course, your course administrator will be notified by the provider and will contact you personally register for the exam and pay the $60 exam fee. You must apply for your Oregon construction contractors license within 2 years of passing the exam.

*Note: If you've already passed the NASCLA Accredited Examination, prelicensing training is not required. However, you must still pass the Oregon contractor license exam.

Step 4. Determine your contracting endorsement type. 

You must know your contractor license endorsement type to ensure you purchase the correct surety bond. Your endorsement type depends on the kind of structures you'll work on. The CCB offers detailed endorsement resources, but there are 2 main types. 

  • Residential endorsement contractors can work on residential and small commercial structures. 
  • Commercial endorsement contractors can work on small and large commercials projects. 

If you're contracting for both commercial and residential structures, you must have both a residential and commercial endorsement. If this applies to you, you must purchase 2 separate surety bonds: 1 for each endorsement. 

Step 5. Purchase your Oregon Construction Contractors Board surety bond.

Oregon Revised Statutes Section 701.068 requires that individuals purchase a surety bond to be filed with their Oregon Construction Contractor Board license application. Your required surety bond amount depends on both your license and endorsement type.

You can buy your Oregon contractor bond online 24/7 with annual premiums starting at $100. You'll receive your official Oregon Construction Contractors Board surety bond by email once your order has been processed.

Step 6. Purchase general liability insurance.

You must provide proof that you've purchased liability insurance in the form of an issued copy of your Certificate of Insurance. Liability insurance protects your customers in the case of personal injury loss or property damage incurred by you or your business during construction contracting work. You'll need to purchase minimum coverage in the following amounts based on the kind of construction you perform. 

Residential Contractors

  • Residential General Contractor: $500,000 per occurrence
  • Residential Specialty Contractor: $300,000 per occurrence
  • Residential Limited Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence 
  • Residential Developer: $500,000 per occurrence 
  • Home Services Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence
  • Residential Locksmith Services Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence
  • Home Inspector Services Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence 
  • Home Performance Score Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence

Commercial Contractors

  • Commercial General Contractor Level 1: $2,000,000 aggregate 
  • Commercial General Contractor Level 2: $1,000,000 aggregate 
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 1: $1,000,000 aggregate 
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 2: $500,000 per occurrence
  • Commercial Developer: $500,000 per occurrence

Step 7. Purchase workers compensation insurance (if applicable). 

If your business has employees, you'll need to buy workers compensation insurance to cover your employees in the event that they're injured on the job. 

*Note: You don't have to buy workers compensation insurance if your business is a partnership, corporation, or limited liability company in which all partners are family members.

Step 8. Get state and federal employer tax numbers.

To determine if you need state and/or federal employer tax numbers, call the Oregon Department of Revenue 1(503)378-4988. If you need these numbers, you'll be able to request more information on how to get them directly from the DOR over the phone. 

Step 9. Submit your Oregon contractor license application and pay the fee.

Your application form is based on your business structure. Each application offers the option to apply for a residential endorsement, commercial endorsement, or both. You'll pay your $325 initial licensing application fee by providing your debit or credit card information on the last page of the application packet. Note that the CCB only accepts Visa, Discover, or Mastercard. 

Mail your completed Oregon construction contractor license application packet to the Oregon Construction Contractors Board office or fax it to 1(503) 373-2155.

State of Oregon Contractors Board
P.O. Box 14140
201 High St. SE
Suite 600

Salem, OR 97309-5052

You cannot submit payment information or application materials by email. The CCB can take up to 8 weeks to process your application and issue your license. 

Last Updated: May 22, 2024

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert