Closed Monday 5/27 for Memorial Day

Contractors Working With a Utah Contractor License

How to get a Utah Contractor License

This Utah contractor license guide is for informational purposes only. does not regulate or manage licensing for contractors in Utah. Contact the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing for the state’s latest official contractor license requirements.

Utah Code 84-55-102 defines contractor as "any person who for compensation other than wages as an employee undertakes any work in the construction, plumbing, or electrical trade for which licensure is required.” If this definition applies to you, you must have a Utah contractor's license on file with the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing before offering construction services in the state.

Complete the following steps to to apply for your Utah contractor license.

How to get a Utah Contractor License

How do I get a contractor license in Utah?

Step 1. Determine your Utah contractor license classification.

The most common Utah contractor license classifications filed are as follows.

  • B100 General Contractor
  • R100 Residential/Small Commercial Contractor
  • E100 General Engineering Contractor
  • P200 General Plumbing Contractor
  • P201 Residential Plumbing Contractor
  • E200 General Electrical Contractor
  • E201 Residential Electrical Contractor

Review the full list of Utah contractor license classifications to determine which classification best fits your work.

Step 2. Ensure you meet the Utah contractor license experience requirement.

You must have at least 2 years of construction industry experience and certify you have at least 4,000 hours of paid construction work experience before applying for a Utah contractor license.

You can also meet the experience requirement if any of the following applies.

  • You have a 2 or 4 year construction management degree
  • You are a qualifier on a current or previous Utah contractor license for at least 2 years
  • You are a licensed Utah professional engineer
  • You passed the NASCLA Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors

Step 3. Register your construction business entity.

If you manage a construction business corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership, you’ll need to register your business with the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. You must select the right structure for your business needs. Sole proprietors must provide their SSN.

Step 4. Purchase general liability insurance.

All licensed contractors must purchase $100,000 minimum coverage in general liability insurance for each incident and $300,000 in liability coverage. The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing must be listed as the certificate holder.

This policy covers your entire scope of work under your license for the entire time your license is active.

Step 5. Purchase your Utah contractor license surety bond.

Utah Code 58-55-306 requires contractors to file a surety bond when applying for a new, renewal, or reinstated Utah contractor license. Your license classification determines your required surety bond amount.

  • B100 General Contractor and E100 General Engineering Contractors: $50,000 surety bond amount
  • R100 Residential/Small Commercial Contractors: $25,000 surety bond amount
  • All other license classifications: $15,000 surety bond amount

You can apply for your Utah contractor license bond online 24/7. Your personal surety bond cost will be provided after a quick application review based on your license type and its required bond amount. Your official Utah contractor license bond will be emailed to you once your order is processed.

Step 6. Pass your Utah contractor license exam.

For specific information about the Utah Contractor Business and Law Exam, you can review the Utah Contracting Exam Examination Handbook. You can schedule your exam online by completing the following steps.

  • Create an account on the Prov website.
  • Under “Select a License/Certificate,” choose the "Business and Law Exam."
  • Select a date, time, and location to take the exam.
  • Submit your exam fees directly to the exam provider.

You can also call Prov at 1(877)228-3926 to make testing arrangements. Prov will send your exam results directly to the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. You must include a copy of your test results with your Utah contractor license application.

You can bypass the exam requirement if you meet the following

  • Have 1 year of licensed experience working in another area of the U.S. in the similar scope of practice (the license must be active and in good standing)
  • Were a qualifier on a Utah contractor license before May 9, 2017

Step 7. Submit your Utah contractor license application packet to the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.

You must mail your required documents and application to the following address.

Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
PO Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114

NOTE: The DOPL can take 4-6 weeks to process your application.

How do I renew my Utah contractor license?

Utah contractor licenses expire on November 30th of odd-numbered years regardless of when your license became active. You'll receive a renewal notice by email at least 60 days before your license expiration date with instructions to renew your license online. You must pay a $119 renewal license fee.

Last Updated: March 13, 2024

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert