generic bond icon

California Money Transmitter Bond

Price Varies / 1 year term


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a money transmitter bond cost in California?

The Money Transmitter Division of the California Department of Business Oversight requires money transmitters doing business in the state to obtain a surety bond. The bond amount varies from a minimum of $250,000 to a maximum of $7,000,000. The amount must be greater than the average daily outstanding obligations for money received for transmission in the state, provided it is within the above range.

Since these bonds require underwriting, it is important you have your financial information handy to expedite the bonding process. Worried your credit will disqualify you for a bond? Not to worry, we employ a specialized bad credit bonding program through which we can approve 99% of our applicants.

The best way to find out exactly how much you’ll pay for your California surety bond is to request your free surety bond quote now!

Bond Type
$250,000-$7,000,000Money Transmitter Bond

Call at 1 (800) 308-4358 to get started. Our team of expert surety specialists is here to answer all of your questions and to get you the surety bond you need quickly, easily and accurately!

Why do I need this bond?

A money transmitter bond helps ensure that the principal (money transmitter) complies with all legal requirements outlined in the bond form. Money transmitters in California are required to adhere to Division 1.2 of the California Financial Code (section 2000 - 2176). Prohibited acts under this law include, but are not limited to:

  • Failing to cooperate with examination
  • Engaging in fraud, intentional misrepresentation or gross negligence
  • Engaging in unsafe or unsound business practice
  • Suspending payment of its obligations
  • Failing to remove an agent after commissioner finds agent in violation of the law

If the principal violates the terms of the bond, claims can be filed against the bond. The surety will cover for damages up to the penal sum of the bond, but the principal will be liable for reimbursing the surety the equivalent amount of money in a timely manner.

What’s the fine print?

The Department of Business Oversight mandates that money transmitters obtain a security with regards to the terms outlined in the Money Transmission Act. This bond amount varies from applicant to applicant. The bond runs concurrently with the license period for which the license is granted. If the surety decides to terminate the bond, it must file a 30-day notice of cancellation. During this period, the surety remains liable for all claims filed against the bond.

How to become a money transmitter in California

In addition to filing a surety bond, money transmitter applicants must submit a license application to the Money Transmitter Division. The application must include the following information along with appropriate fees:

  • Legal name and residential business address of the applicant
  • List of any criminal convictions of the applicant during the past 10 years
  • Description of money services applicant will provide
  • List of applicant’s proposed agents and all business locations
  • List of other states where applicant is licensed to engage in money transmission
  • Information concerning any bankruptcy
  • Certificate of good standing from the state

For a complete list of requirements for money transmitter bonds, check out the Additional Resources section below.

In addition to state license requirements, money transmitters must register as a money services business (MSB) with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network before conducting business. To successfully register, applicants must electronically submit registration through BSA E-Filing. A link to this site is available in the Additional Resources section below.

Ready to get started?

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert