generic bond icon

Washington D.C. Contractor License Bonds

Select Bond For Price
We offer 24/7 instant email delivery. Buy your bond now to get it within 6 minutes!


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a contractor bond cost in Washington D.C.? 

Washington D.C. contractor bond costs start at $50 annually. Your exact cost will vary depending on which construction contractor license you need. Your Washington D.C. contractor bond will likely have a fixed expiration date to match your contractor license expiration, which can affect your bond premium depending on when you purchase your bond. Your contractor bond premium will cover your full license term as required by the district. 

How do I get a Washington D.C. contractor license bond?

You can purchase your D.C. contractor bond online 24/7. Choose your license bond from the dropdown above or the table below. If you need a home improvement contractor bond, your invoice will be provided after a quick application review.

Information requirements for your bond vary by form, but you typically need to provide your contractor or construction company name and physical business address for filing approval. Once your order is processed, your official Washington DC surety bond will be sent to your email. 

How fast can I get a contractor license bond?

Our industry-leading technology and expert customer service team allow us to deliver your official D.C. contractor bond faster than any other surety provider. offers digital delivery for all D.C. construction contractor bonds. Orders placed by 4 PM CST Monday-Friday are typically processed with same-day emailed bond delivery. 

If you have questions about Washington DC contractor license bonds, call 1(800)308-4358 to speak with a friendly surety expert. We're here to guide you through the contractor bond process so you can get back to running your business.

Bond Type
$1,000Electrical Contractor BondElectrical Fixture Contractor, Master Electrician Specialist
$2,000Electrical Contractor BondMaster Electrician, Special Contractor
$4,000Electrical Contractor BondElectrical Contractor
$4,000Elevator Trades Contractor Bond
$25,000Home Improvement Contractor Bond
$5,000Plumbing and Gas Fitting Contractor Bond
$5,000Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Contractor Bond
$1,000-$100,000District of Columbia Contractor License & Permit Bond

What is a Washington D.C. contractor bond?

Washington D.C. contractor bond” is a generic term for the various construction contractor surety bonds required by the Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs. These bonds must be filed by contractors for licensing as a guarantee they'll comply with D.C. laws when performing construction work. Each bond form outlines its own specific requirements, but they generally protect individuals and licensing authorities from financial loss resulting from contractor fraud or other noncompliance. The issuing surety bond company will pay any valid bond claim up to the full bond amount, which the bonded contractor must reimburse. 

Who regulates licensing for contractors?

The District of Columbia Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) enforces all license and surety bond requirements for contractors working in the area. If you have questions about your license application, the status of your license, or which surety bond amount you need, you can contact the DCRA by phone at 1(202)442-4400 or by email at [email protected].

What contractor license bonds are required in Washington D.C.?

Depending on which license you need, the DCRA requires a set surety bond amount issued for a specific term. 

  • Electrical fixture contractors and master electrician specialists must file a $1,000 surety bond that expires November 30th of odd years.
  • Master electricians and special contractors must file a $2,000 surety bond that expires November 30th of odd years.
  • Electrical contractors and elevator contractors must file a $4,000 surety bond that expires November 30th of odd years.
  • Home improvement contractors must file a $25,000 surety bond valid for 2 years. 
  • Plumbing and gas fitting contractors must file a $5,000 surety bond that expires March 31st of even years.
  • Refrigeration and air conditioning contractors must file a $5,000 surety bond that expires September 30th of even years.

Need a surety bond for a construction project in Washington D.C.?

Washington D.C. contractor bonds are required for licensing compliance. If you need a surety bond before you can begin work on an individual contracted project, you might need a bid bond, payment bond, performance bond, or other type of contract bond. If you work in areas other than Washington D.C., we also offer contractor license bonds nationwide.

How do I update or change my contractor bond? 

If the DCRA requires your bond form to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider to explain the needed change. If you purchased your D.C. contractors bond from, email [email protected] to explain the needed change.

The most common changes requested for these bonds are updating the contractor or construction company name, physical business address, or license type.

How do I renew my construction bond?

You must renew your Washington D.C. contractor bond before its current term expires to maintain your active bond along with your contractor license. Once you pay your renewal invoice, renewal instructions will be emailed to you to keep your bond active for your next license term.

How do I become a licensed contractor in Washington D.C.?

You must be licensed with the DCRA Board of Industrial Trades before performing any construction work in Washington DC. Application requirements vary by classification, so you'll need to follow the steps on the DCRA Board of Industrial Trades website

You must provide the following, along with your application, regardless of license type.

  • 2”x2” passport-style photo in a .jpeg format
  • government-issued ID, such as a driver's license 
  • payment for all application, exam and license fees

You must purchase your required Washington DC surety bond from an authorized surety company and file it with the board before receiving a home improvement contractor license or any other license type.

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert