Closed Monday 5/27 for Memorial Day

generic bond icon

Massachusetts Contractor License Bonds

Select Bond For Price
We offer 24/7 instant email delivery. Buy your bond now to get it within 6 minutes!


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a contractor license bond cost in Massachusetts?

Massachusetts contractor license bond costs start at $100 annually. Your exact premium will vary depending on the contractor bond required for your individual permit or license and its bond amount. Most contractor bond types required for city or county licensing cost $100 annually.

How do you get a Massachusetts contractor license bond?

You can purchase most Massachusetts contractor license bonds online 24/7. Simply select which contractor bond type you need from the dropdown above or the table below. Your licensing authority determines information required for filing approval, but you typically need to provide your contractor or construction company name, physical business address, and license type. Once your order has been processed, your bonding confirmation will be sent to your email. 

How long does it take to get a contractor license bond?

Our industry-leading technology and responsive customer service team allow us to deliver your official Massachusetts contractor license bond faster than any other surety provider. Orders placed by 4 PM CST Monday-Friday are typically processed with same-day emailed construction contractor bond delivery. If your license authority requires your official Massachusetts surety bond be physically issued and delivered to you, we'll ship it to your preferred mailing address.

If you have questions about Massachusetts contractor license bonds, call 1 (800) 308-4358 to speak with a friendly surety expert. We're here to guide you through the construction contractor bond process so you can get back to running your business.

Bond Type
$4,000City of Athol Contractor Bond
$5,000City of Boston Street Opening Bond
$20,000City of Boston Street Opening Bond
$5,000City of Gardner Contractor Bond
$5,000-$50,000City of Melrose Contractor Bond$5,000 per location or $50,000 blanket bond
$1,000City of Salem Sign Contractor Bond
$1,000-$25,000Department of Revenue Out of State Contractor Tax Payer Guarantee BondBond amount is 6.25% of the total price of the contract
$5,000Town of Braintree Contractor Bond
$10,000Town of Dighton Contractor Bond
$5,000Town of Mattapoisett Water & Sewer Contractor Bond
$1,000-$250,000Town of Palmer Contractor Bond
$250,001-$500,000Town of Palmer Contractor Bond
$5,000Town of Stoughton Contractor Bond
$5,000Town of Wakefield Contractor Bond
$5,000Town of Webster Contractor Bond
$5,000Town of Westminster Contractor Bond
$10,000Town of Burlington Street Opening Bond
$1,000-$100,000City of Cambridge Sidewalk Repair Payment Bond
$1,000-$100,000City of Newton Payment Bond
$5,000City of Cambridge Sidewalk Permit Bond
$5,000Town of Needham Street Opening Permit Bond
$20,000Boston Water and Sewer Commission Bond

What is a Massachusetts contractor license bond?

Massachusetts contractor license bond” is a generic term for the various surety bonds required for contractor licensing throughout the state. Each bond must be filed with the government agency requiring it for licensing compliance. Each form has its own requirements, but most ensure that contractors comply with city and/or state construction laws, particularly those pertaining to a particular contractor license type.

Why are contractor bonds important in Massachusetts? 

By filing a bond for contractor licensing, you agree to comply with applicable laws when performing construction work in Massachusetts. If you fail to do so, your issuing surety company will pay valid claims to harmed parties up to your full license bond amount, which you must reimburse due to your noncompliance. 

Who needs a Massachusetts contractor license bond? 

Massachusetts does not require a surety bond to get a state license as a contractor. If you work in one of the cities or counties listed in the dropdown above or table below, you must file a specific surety bond with them directly before receiving your local contractor compliance license. If you need a surety bond for a city or county not listed, call 1(800)308-4358.

Who regulates licensing for contractors? 

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue enforces contractor bond requirements for out-of-state contractors working in the state. You can contact the DOR by calling 1(617)887-6995. Some cities and counties require contractors file local surety bonds before beginning work in the area. If you don't know your city or county's license or surety bond requirements, contact your local licensing office.

Need a surety bond for a construction project in Massachusetts?

Massachusetts contractor bonds are required for licensing compliance. If you need a surety bond before you can begin work on an individual contracted project, you might need a bid bond, payment bond, performance bond, or other type of contract bond. If you work in states other than Massachusetts, we also offer contractor license bonds nationwide.

How do I update or change my construction bond form?

If your licensing agency requires you to update information on your construction bond form, contact your surety provider. If you purchased your bond from, email [email protected] to explain the needed change. The most common changes requested are updating your construction contractor name or address to match your current contractor license or new licensing application requirements. 

How do I renew my Massachusetts surety bond?

You must renew your Massachusetts surety bond before its current term expires to keep your license in good standing. Once you pay your renewal invoice, instructions will be provided to keep your bond active for your next license term.

What do you need to be a contractor in Massachusetts?

You do not need a state license to work as a contractor in Massachusetts. The state does, however, require home improvement contractors to be registered. No surety bond is required for Massachusetts home improvement contractor registration.

The state regulates out-of-state contractors through the Department of Revenue to ensure sales and/or use taxes are paid for project material purchases. To get your non resident contractor license, complete the steps below.

  1. Register through MassTaxConnect.
  2. File a Guarantee Bond Form for projects valued at $20,000 or more (including materials).
  3. Pay all sales or use taxes as well as all other tax payments.
  4. Fill out the DOR Certificate of Compliance and submit to the individual who hired you to complete construction work.

For information on how to apply as a licensed contractor in a specific city or county, review the Additional Resources section below.

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert