Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.
We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.
We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.
How much does a vehicle uniform surety bond cost in Michigan?
The Michigan Department of State requires owners of motor vehicles, watercraft or snowmobiles without titles to post vehicle uniform bonds with their title or registration applications. Michigan’s Vehicle Title Division mandates the title bond amount must be equal to 2 times the value of the vehicle.
Some vehicle uniform bond are issued instantly online for a set premium to all applicants, others are issued instantly with a minimum premium for $15 per every $1,000 of the bond amount required, and others yet are subject to underwriting consideration.
What is a Michigan vehicle uniform surety bond?
A title vehicle uniform surety bond provides proof of vehicle ownership. The Michigan Department of State requires applicants to provide additional information on the bond form for the following vehicles:
- Vehicle title (must include year and make of vehicle, body style, and vehicle identification number)
- Watercraft title (must include year and make of watercraft, hull type, and hull number)
- Watercraft registration (must include year and make of watercraft, hull type, and hull number)
- Snowmobile registration (must include year, make, and serial number of snowmobile)
Michigan certificate of title surety bonds indemnify the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs or the Department of State, every employee of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs or the Department of State, any prior owner, any subsequent purchaser of the manufactured home or vehicle described above and their successors in interest against any expense, loss or damage, including reasonable attorney fees, that occurs as a result of the issuance of a certificate of title to the principal (vehicle owner) for the vehicle in question. If no claims are made against the bond, the department will return it.
Surety bonds for manufactured homes in Michigan are issued for 5 years. If no claims are made throughout the bond’s term, the department will return the bond. The year, make, serial number and size of the manufactured home must be listed on the bond form.
How to get a Michigan title bond
- Submit an application for a vehicle title and registration with the Michigan Department of State or order title online
- File a uniform vehicle surety bond along with your application
For manufactured homes:
- Submit an application for manufactured home ownership with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- File a uniform manufactured home surety bond along with your application
All relevant forms can be found below in the Additional Resources section.
NOTE: A bond may not be obligated for a vehicle that is at least 10 years old and has a value of $2,500 or less. Any watercraft or snowmobile valued at $2,500 or less also doesn’t require bond coverage.