generic bond icon

Montana Certificate of Title Bond

Price Varies / 3 year term


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a certificate of title bond cost in Montana?

Montana certificate of title bond costs start at $100. The exact cost will vary depending on the surety bond amount required by the Montana Vehicle Services Bureau.

  • Bond amounts up to $6,000 cost just $100.
  • Bond amounts from $6,001 to $50,000 cost $15 for every $1,000 of coverage, starting at $100.
  • Bond amounts for more than $50,000 must be reviewed by an underwriter for pricing, starting at $750.

Where can you get a Montana certificate of title bond?

You can purchase Montana title bonds online 24/7. Simply provide your name and the vehicle identification number (VIN) for Vehicle Services Bureau approval. Once your payment is processed, your official bond documents will be delivered to your email instantly.

How fast can I get a bonded title? offers instant Montana title bond delivery 24/7. Purchase now to receive your official bond delivered in minutes by email.

*Note: If your bond amount is more than $50,000, your purchase order will be reviewed by a team member before your documents are emailed.

Bond Type
$100-$6,000Certificate of Title Bond
$6,001-$25,000Certificate of Title Bond
$25,001-$50,000Certificate of Title Bond
$50,001-$500,000Certificate of Title Bond

What is a Montana certificate of title bond?

Montana Code Annotated 61-3-208 requires individuals file a vehicle ownership bond if they do not have a certificate of title to prove they own a motor vehicle, trailer, pole trailer, camper, motorboat, personal watercraft, sailboat, or snowmobile they're trying to register. Montana title bonds protect previous owners, lien holders, and future vehicle owners from expenses, losses, or damages resulting from certificate of title issuance.

If the original vehicle title is found, the harmed party can file a claim against the bond. The surety company will pay valid claims up to the full bond amount, which the bonded vehicle owner would be required to reimburse.

Who registers vehicles with missing titles?

The Montana Department of Justice Vehicle Services Bureau enforces replacement title registration requirements. The VSB manages all forms associated with vehicle ownership registration, including the vehicle ownership surety bond form.

Who needs a Montana bonded title?

If you do not have a certificate of title to prove you own your motor vehicle, trailer, pole trailer, camper, motorboat, personal watercraft, sailboat, or snowmobile valued at more than $500, Montana state law requires you to file a surety bond as part of the vehicle registration process. Your title surety bond must be filed within 30 days.

Vehicles with open liens are not eligible for a bonded title.

Montana title bonds are required for vehicle registration. If you plan to sell vehicles, a separate Montana motor vehicle dealer bond is required.

How do I determine my bond amount?

Your Montana lost title bond amount must be equal to the appraised value of the vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer as determined by the applicable national appraisal guide. If you need help determining your required bond amount, contact the Vehicle Services Bureau before purchasing your bond.

How do I update or change my bond form?

If the Montana Vehicle Services Bureau requires your surety bond documentation to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider. If you purchased your lost title bond from, email [email protected] to explain the needed change.

The most common changes for these bonds include the owner's name or the vehicle identification number (VIN).

Do I need to renew my vehicle title bond?

Montana lost title bonds do not renew after their initial 3-year term. Your bond will be returned 3 years from the certificate of title issuance date or before if the valid certificate of title is provided to the department.

How do I get a bonded title in Montana?

1. Complete required documents.

  • Proof of ownership (notarized bill of sale, cancelled check, purchase invoice, etc.)
  • Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certificate (MV20) completed by law enforcement
  • Bonded Title Application (Form MV10)

2. Submit your application.

  • If you need plates, submit to your county treasurer's office.
  • If plates aren't needed, submit to your county treasurer's office or the Vehicle Services Bureau.

If the Vehicle Services Bureau approves your application as submitted, they will issue a bonded title for your vehicle.

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert