generic bond icon

West Virginia Motor Fuel Excise Tax Bond

Price Varies / 1 year term


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a motor fuel excise tax bond cost in West Virginia?

The West Virginia State Tax Department’s Internal Auditing Division - Excise Tax Unit requires motor fuel suppliers, importers, distributors, blenders, and exporters to post surety bonds. The required bond amount must be equal to three times the applicant’s tax liability. These bonds range in amount from $1,000 to $100,000. Applicants should verify their required bond amount with the state prior to bonding.

These bonds are subject to underwriting, so the price you’ll pay depends on your required amount of bond coverage plus a review of your credit report. Because the price of this bond varies, we suggest submitting a bond request for a personalized quote.

Bond Type
$1,000-$100,000Motor Fuel Excise Tax Bond

Why do I need this bond?

By posting a West Virginia motor fuel excise tax bond, principals (motor fuel professionals) pledge to comply with provisions of Chapter 11, Article 14C of the Code of West Virginia. Specifically, the bond guarantees that principals will account for and pay all motor fuel taxes and penalties due to the state.

If the principal fails to comply with these terms, the bond protects the state from resulting financial losses.

Contact to begin the bonding process. We make getting bonded fast and easy.

What’s the fine print?

Motor fuel excise tax bonds in West Virginia remain in full force and effect until violated or canceled. The surety can cancel the bond by giving written notice of cancellation via registered mail to the principal and the state. Cancellation becomes effective 60 days after the notice is postmarked. An annual renewal notice is not required.

The license type of the applicant (supplier, permissive supplier, terminal supplier, importer, distributor, blender or exporter) must be indicated on the bond form.

How to get a motor fuel excise tax bond in West Virginia

To become a licensed motor fuel supplier, importer, distributor, blender or exporter in West Virginia, applicants must provide the following:

  • legal business or corporation name
  • trade name or DBA
  • federal certificate of registry number
  • physical/mailing addresses of the business
  • license type
  • business type
  • types of products

More licensing information can be accessed from the Additional Resources section of this page. 

Take the first step toward becoming a licensed motor fuel professional in West Virginia by purchasing the surety bond you need.

Ready to get started?

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert