Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.
We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.
We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.
How much does a motor vehicle dealer bond cost in North Dakota?
North Dakota motor vehicle dealer bond costs start at $100 annually. Your exact bond premium will be provided after a quick application review based on your dealer license classification.
- The $10,000 bond for trailer and motor powered recreational vehicle dealers starts at $100 annually.
- The $25,000 bond for new and used motor vehicle dealers starts at $250 annually.
- The $50,000 bond for mobile home and manufactured home dealers starts at $500 annually.
How do I get a North Dakota auto dealer surety bond?
You can apply for your North Dakota auto dealer bond online 24/7. Simply choose the bond amount required for your license type and provide the following information for Department of Transportation filing approval.
- dealer/dealership name
- dealership mailing address
- dealer license type
- dealer license number, if available
Once your payment has been processed, you'll receive a digital copy of your bond by email. Your official documentation will be delivered to your preferred mailing address.
How fast can I get a motor vehicle dealer bond?
Our industry-leading technology and responsive customer service team allow us to offer free quotes and deliver your official North Dakota auto dealer bond faster than any other surety provider. The DOT requires your North Dakota dealer bond be physically issued and shipped to you, so choose overnight shipping during checkout if you're in a rush. Orders placed by 4 PM CST Monday-Friday are typically shipped same-day.
If you have questions about the North Dakota auto dealer bond or your application, call 1(800)308-4358 to speak with a friendly surety expert. We're here to guide you through the dealer bond process so you can get back to running your business.
What is a North Dakota motor vehicle dealer bond?
North Dakota Century Code Title 39 requires individuals file a surety bond before being licensed as a new or used motor vehicle dealer, motor powered recreational vehicle dealer, trailer dealer, or mobile home and manufactured home dealer. Each license type has its own bond form, but they all require dealers to comply with North Dakota statutes when operating their dealership.
Why do I need an auto dealer surety bond in North Dakota?
You'll need to purchase and file this bond if you're applying for a new, used, motor-powered recreational, trailer, mobile home, or manufactured home dealer license in North Dakota. By filing this bond you agree to comply with North Dakota statutes when operating your dealership. If you fail to do so, your surety company will pay valid claims to harmed parties up to the full bond amount, which you must then reimburse.
Who regulates licensing for motor vehicle dealers?
The North Dakota Department of Transportation enforces dealer license regulations in the state, including the surety bond requirement. If you have questions about your license application, the status of your current license, or your surety bond requirement, you can contact the department by calling 1(701)328-1285 or by filling out their online contact form.
What are the different types of North Dakota vehicle dealer licenses?
- A new motor vehicle dealer buys, sells, and exchanges new and used motor vehicles and must file $25,000 surety bond form SFN 2933.
- A used motor vehicle dealer buys, sells, and exchanges used motor vehicles and must file $25,000 surety bond form SFN 2933.
- A motor-powered recreational (MPR) vehicle dealer buys, sells, and exchanges motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, or unconventional vehicles and must file $10,000 surety bond form SFN 3003.
- A trailer dealer buys, sells, and exchanges trailers and must file $10,000 surety bond form SFN 2898.
- A mobile home and manufactured home dealer buys, sells, and exchanges mobile homes, manufactured homes, motor homes, or travel trailers and must file $50,000 surety bond form SFN 2935.
- A low speed vehicle dealer is not required to be licensed or bonded.
How do I update or change my bond form?
If the North Dakota Department of Transportation requires your bond documentation to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider. If you purchased your bond from SuretyBonds.com, email [email protected] to explain the needed change. The most common changes requested are updating the the dealership's name or address.
How do I renew my motor vehicle dealer bond?
You must renew your North Dakota auto dealer bond before its current 1-year term expires. Once you pay your SuretyBonds.com renewal invoice, renewal instructions will be sent to you to keep your bond and dealer license in good standing with the DOT.
How do I get a North Dakota motor vehicle dealer license?
Complete the following steps to apply for your motor vehicle dealer license in North Dakota.
- Submit a completed application for dealer's license.
- Purchase and file your official dealer surety bond in the amount required for your license type.
- Provide current liability insurance.
- Meet all established place of business requirements specific to your dealership type.
- Meet all vehicle sales and display requirements specific to your dealership type.
- Pay all required fees.
Submit all required documents to the Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division at the address below.
Motor Vehicle Division
ND Dept. of Transportation
608 E Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0780