generic bond icon

Oregon Highway Use Tax Bond

Select Bond For Price
We offer 24/7 instant email delivery. Buy your bond now to get it within 6 minutes!


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does an Oregon highway use tax bond cost?

Oregon highway use tax bond costs start at $100 annually. Your exact premium will depend on your required bond amount, which is determined based on the number of vehicles you have registered with the state.

  • The $2,000 bond amount costs $100 annually. 
  • Bond amounts ranging from $2,000 to $25,000 cost $20/thousand starting at $100 annually.
  • Bond amounts more than $25,000 require a quick application review to determine pricing. 

How do I get a highway use tax bond in Oregon?

You can purchase your Oregon highway use tax bond online 24/7. Simply provide your required bond amount, name, and address for Department of Transportation filing approval. Once your payment has been processed, your official surety bond will be emailed to you instantly.

How fast can I get a highway mileage tax surety bond?

Our industry-leading technology and responsive customer service team allow us to deliver your official Oregon highway use tax bond faster than any other surety provider. If your bond amount is $25,000 or less, you'll receive your official Oregon surety bond by email instantly once your payment has been processed. If your bond amount is more than $25,000, your purchase order will be reviewed by a team member before your documents are issued and emailed.

Bond Type
$2,000Highway Use Tax Bond
$2,001-$25,000Highway Use Tax Bond
$25,001-$50,000Highway Use Tax Bond

What is an Oregon highway use tax bond?

Oregon Revised Statutes 825.506 authorizes the state's Department of Transportation to enforce a surety bond requirement at their discretion to ensure their ability to collect payment from a motor carrier. State form 735-9293 is officially titled the “Highway Use Tax Bond" and specifically requires motor carriers pay all owed fees, taxes, charges, interest, or penalties owed according to Oregon Revised Statutes chapters 825 and 818.225.

Why do you need an Oregon highway use tax bond? 

By filing this Oregon surety bond as a motor carrier, you agree to pay fees, taxes, charges, interest, or penalties to the state as required by the Oregon legislature. If you fail to do so, your issuing surety company will pay valid claims up to the full bond amount, which you'd be required to reimburse in full. 

Who needs to get an Oregon highway use tax bond? 

If you're registered with the Oregon Weight Mile Tax Program, you must file a highway use tax bond with the Department of Transportation as a guarantee you'll pay all owed mileage tax as required for your commercial vehicle. 

Who regulates licensing for motor carriers?

The Oregon Department of Transportation Motor Carrier Transportation Division enforces regulations for motor carriers in the state, including this tax bond requirement. To contact the DOT Commerce and Compliance Division, you can call 1(503)378-5849 or submit an online contact form.

How do I update or change my highway use tax bond form?  

If the Motor Carrier Transportation Division requires your bond form to be updated for any reason, contact your surety company. If you purchased your bond from, email [email protected] to explain the needed change.

The most common changes requested for this Oregon surety bond include:

  • motor carrier name
  • address
  • required bond amount

How do I renew my highway use tax surety bond? 

You must renew your Oregon highway use tax bond before its current term expires. Once you pay your renewal invoice, renewal instructions will be sent to keep your bond active for your next motor carrier license or permit term.

How do I become a motor carrier in Oregon?

Complete the following steps to apply for your Oregon motor carrier license or permit. 

  1. Create your motor carrier account, and fill out your application.
  2. Register your vehicle(s) in the weight mile tax program.
  3. Purchase and file highway use tax bond form 735-9293 in the correct required bond amount.

File your original application with either the Salem or Portland Bridge Registration Office, or you can mail it to the Oregon DOT. 

Oregon Department of Transportation
Commerce and Compliance Division
455 Airport Rd.
SE Building A 
Salem, OR 97301

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert