generic bond icon

Utah Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond

Select Bond For Price


Backed by SSL, our online bonding process is secure. We are committed to your privacy.


We shop the top surety markets to find you the best rate.


We’ve streamlined the bonding process to make your experience as fast and easy as possible.

How much does a motor vehicle dealer bond cost in Utah?

Utah motor vehicle dealer bond costs vary depending on which auto industry license you need. Your exact premium will be provided after a quick application review. 

  • Annual premiums for the $10,000 Motorcycle and Small Trailer Dealers OR Crushers Bond start at $100. 
  • Annual premiums for the $20,000 Body Shop License Bond start at $100.
  • Annual premiums for the $75,000 New or Used Motor Vehicle Dealer, Large Trailer Dealer, or Special Equipment Dealer Bond start at $375.

Apply online now to get your free, personal surety bond quote!

How do you get a Utah auto dealer bond?

You can apply for your free Utah auto dealer bond quote online 24/7. Simply select which bond amount you need based on your license type and provide the following information for Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division approval.

  • dealer/dealership/business name
  • physical business address
  • county
  • license type
  • dealer license number, if available

You'll receive your official auto dealer surety bond by email once your order has been processed.

How fast can I get a dealer, crusher, or body shop bond?

Our industry-leading technology and responsive customer service team allow us to offer free quotes and deliver your official Utah dealer, crusher, or body shop bond faster than any other surety provider. Orders placed by 4 PM CST Monday-Friday are typically processed with same-day emailed bond delivery.

If you have questions about the Utah dealer, crusher, body shop bond or your application, call 1 (800) 308-4358 to speak with a friendly surety expert. We're here to guide you through the bond process so you can get back to running your business.

Bond Type
$10,000Motor Vehicle Dealer, Crusher or Body Shop BondMotorcycle and Small Trailer Dealers OR Crushers
$20,000Motor Vehicle Dealer, Crusher or Body Shop BondBody Shop License
$75,000Motor Vehicle Dealer, Crusher or Body Shop BondNew or Used Motor Vehicle or Large Trailer Dealers; Special Equipment Dealer

What is a Utah motor vehicle dealer bond? 

Utah State Legislation 41-3-205 requires individuals file a surety bond before a dealer, crusher, or body shop license will be issued. The state bond form TC-450 is officially titled the “Bond of Motor Vehicle Dealer, Special Equipment Dealer, Crusher or Body Shop." The bond requires licensed individuals and businesses to work according to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Business Regulation Act as outlined in Utah Code Annotated Title 41, Chapter 3. The form specifically prohibits fraud, misrepresentation, certificate of title transfer failure, and lien repayment failure.

Why is this Utah motor vehicle dealer bond required?

By filing this bond, individuals agree to operate their businesses according to Utah Code. If they fail to do so, the bond provides financial protection to any individual, firm, or corporation that suffers a loss due to noncompliance. The issuing surety company will pay valid claims up to the full bond amount, which the bonded dealer or auto industry professional must reimburse.

This Utah surety bond is for professional business licensing. If you're trying to register a vehicle with a missing title, you need a separate Utah certificate of title bond.

Who regulates licensing for vehicle dealers, crushers, and body shops? 

The Utah Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division enforces licensing requirements for the state's automotive industry professionals. If you have questions about which surety bond you need or the status of your license application, you can call the MVDED at 1 (801) 297-2600 or email [email protected]

Who is required to get an Utah auto dealer bond? 

The following auto industry license types are required to purchase, file, and maintain surety bond form TC-450 as long as they're legally licensed to work in the state.

  • used motor vehicle dealer
  • new franchised motor vehicle dealer
  • motorcycle dealer
  • small trailer dealer
  • large trailer dealer
  • special equipment dealer
  • body shop
  • crusher

How do I update or change my motor vehicle dealer bond form? 

If the Utah Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division requires your bond form to be updated for any reason, contact your surety provider. If you purchased your bond from, email [email protected] to explain the needed change.

The most common changes for these bonds are the individual or company's licensed name or address.

How do I renew my dealer, crusher, or body shop bond? 

You should renew your Utah auto dealer bond before its current 1-year term expires. Once you pay your renewal invoice, renewal instructions will be emailed to you to keep your bond active for the next license term.

How do auto dealers apply for a license in Utah? 

To apply for a business license, fill out the Bonded Motor Vehicle Business Application (TC-301), which requires you to complete the following steps. 

  1. Purchase and file a notarized Utah surety bond in the required amount.
  2. Submit passport-quality photos of all owners and partners of the dealership.
  3. Owners must get fingerprinted and fill out a fingerprint waiver form.
  4. Submit a photo of the dealership location, including the sign. 
  5. Provide evidence of a valid sales tax license. 
  6. Attend an 8-hour orientation course, and submit the original training certificate. 
  7. Provide a copy of your franchise agreement (if applicable). 
  8. To get dealer plates for your business, fill out the plate section of the application.

Submit the completed application packet with all supporting documentation to the Utah MVED. 

Utah Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division
210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84134 

You will receive your motor vehicle dealer license 3-5 working days after the approval of your license application and a passed business location inspection. 

Call 1 (800) 308-4358 to talk with a Surety Expert